The Hatchet Apple
Occasionally it’s true that “less is more.” Take the organic apples in The Hatchet: the smaller the fruit, the bigger the flavor. But picking the smallest, most intensely-flavored apples is the easy part. It’s what happens next that matters, the blending and balancing, pairing sweet and tart varietals to yield a refreshing cider with noticeable complexity and a crisp, clean finish. It’s the hard cider equivalent of alchemy: turning little organic apples into great big flavor.
The recipe for this elixir is an old family secret, but we’re willing to share it with our friends. Here it is: apples. Yep, that’s all there is to it. But of course it isn’t. Because the art is in the apples we pick—variety, maturity, size, color, about as many variables as you have fingers, and each one has to be just right to create the perfect blend of sweet, tart, crisp, dry, tangy, smooth, and refreshing.
- Key ingredients: organic apples
- Available in 12oz 4-pack, 22oz single, and on draft
- Alcohol: 6% ABV
- Residual Sugar: 2.5 BRIX; Off-dry
- Flavor profile: tart, crisp, dry, tangy, smooth, refreshing
- Secret sauce: selecting the best apples based on source, variety, maturity, size, and color